Scope of Program:
Visit KC and Greater Kansas City Restaurant Association (GKCRA) launched Kansas City Restaurant Week in January 2010 with the mission of showcasing Kansas City's culinary scene to local residents and visitors during a 10-day period when restaurants welcome an opportunity to serve more customers. The promotion features special multi-course, price-fixed menus and benefits charities dedicated to improving the community through providing food-related education and/or caring for or feeding underprivileged populations. Over the past eight years, more than $1 million have been raised for charity - the first three years to Harvesters - The Community Food Network and then, beginning in 2013, the GKCRA's Educational Foundation and the Kansas City Regional Destination Development Foundation joined Harvesters as charity partners. From 2015 to 2017, KCRW charitable partners included BoysGrow, the Children’s Center for the Visually Impaired, and Cultivate KC.
Charity partner(s) will receive exposure through the KCRW campaign, including logo placement and editorial features throughout the media promotion. The selected KCRW charity(ies) will be eligible to receive up to $100,000 from the donations of participating restaurants in the given year. Charities will be awarded donations by the June following KCRW.
Interested organizations should submit a proposal outlining their qualifications to become a KCRW featured beneficiary for a possible one-to three-year term. A single charitable partner will be selected for years 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Application Requirements & Process:
Qualified charity(ies) must be:
- A 501(c)3 registered charitable organization established for at least three years
- Offer goods and services to the local Greater Kansas City metropolitan area (KS and MO)
- Have a mission or programming that is directly related to food/nutrition for KC’s underprivileged populations – either through direct service or education - in the Kansas City metro area (as defined by Cass, Clay, Clinton, Leavenworth, Jackson, Johnson, Miami, Platte, and Wyandotte counties)
Applications should include a document(s) with the following:
- The mission of your charity and/or programming that meets the above criteria along with a description of the population you serve and the impact your organization has had
- Explanation and outline of how the KCRW donation will be used as well as demonstrate the need for funding and the anticipated outcomes of your organization, if you were awarded funds for one, two or three years
- A detailed outline of how your organization will assist and support KCRW marketing and advertising
- A description of any past event or festival affiliations of which your organization has been a beneficiary
- A most recent 990 and annual report for the organization
Terms of Agreement:
Any chosen charity(ies) will be required to comply with the following terms upon the completion of the selection process:
- Will not serve as beneficiary to or benefit from similar programs or events during the same timeframe as Kansas City Restaurant Week
- Will work to support all marketing, promotions and donation collections for KCRW within the resources and capabilities of said organization
Applications will be reviewed and discussed by the Kansas City Restaurant Week Executive Committee. This governing body oversees the planning, promotion and execution of KCRW and will vote on selected charitable partners.
Timeline & Key Dates:
|April 14, 2017:||Applications due by 5 p.m.|
|May 9, 2017:||Charity(ies) selected and notified.|
|January 12-21, 2018:||2018 Kansas City Restaurant Week|
|June 1, 2018: June 1, 2018:||2018 donations awarded to charitable partner|
The online application will allow for uploaded documents. Please plan to submit electronically.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the RFP process work? The first 5 years of the event, Harvesters was the beneficiary. The last three years, there were three community beneficiaries and two internal beneficiaries. This year, we’ll be accepting applications for years 2018, 2019 and 2020. The two internal beneficiaries – the KC Regional Destination Development Fund and the Greater Kansas City Restaurant Association Education Foundation – will remain, and a new charity will be selected for each year along with them.
How much was raised for the charities during 2017 Kansas City Restaurant Week? Over $300,000 in donations were raised from participating restaurants.
Are there specific requisites that charities must meet in order qualify as a prospective KCRW beneficiary? Yes! Please see the requirements section on the application page.
Is there a page requirement? No, please use your best judgement to use the space necessary to explain your organization’s mission and/or programming.
How do we know if we qualify? Your organization simply needs to have a mission or programming that is directly related to food/nutrition for KC’s underprivileged populations – either through direct service or education. The additional requirements are located here.
Does the size or scope of our program matter? No, not really. We simply to understand the need and how you’re meeting that need via your mission/programming.
Questions? Please contact Jessica Blubaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 816-691-3879.